Monday, July 26, 2010

It's July 26th, Do You Know Where You're Supposed to Be?

Last night we shifted into high gear as we got the boys ready for their first day back to Miss Tammie's (family daycare).  We've spent the last two weeks home together while I'm on break from school.  I soaked up all the quality time and fun we've had in hopes of mentally getting through this last semester. 

Scott grocery shopped for cold lunch food and laid out clothes and packed diaper bags and skateboards and helmets and found all the shoes.  Quite a feat when we've spent the last two weeks barefoot.  We were on break from the classroom, but unfortunately not from homework.  We had to read most of our labor and delivery nursing text and fill out the corresponding homework for 12 long chapters.  I had to type a paper, create a presentation, two visual aids and make about 60 different drug cards.  As most of you know I'm a bit of a procrastinator.  Needless to say, I worked furiously and was up till 2:45.  I laid down just long enough on the sofa to have a bad dream.  I opened my eyes only to see it was 4:45 and time to get up.  My heart still racing from my dream, I packed up all my school stuff and got ready.  Scott woke up all the little boys, fed them, dressed them, put them in their car seats and packed the van.  I made three separate trips to the van with all my school stuff  I kissed Scott in the driveway and we were off.

Back in our old routine.  No sleep, no time, no fair!  I drove in the dark to Tammie's, woke her up, piled four sleepy boys on her sofa and I was off to school. 

I pulled in the parking lot and scored a great parking spot.  I never get that lucky.  I unpacked the van, arms full and headed into school.  It was surprising that none of my classmates beat me this morning.  It was far too quiet and not nearly enough people were in the halls.  Then came that weird panicky feeling and I started to question everything.  Where is everyone?  Slowly I connected the dots. none of my classmates had returned my six am texts, no other students yet, empty parking lot.  I walked back toward the doorway with all my books and poster boards and ask the front desk what day third semester starts.  "Tomorrow", she replied.  Sigh...  Tomorrow, of course it starts tomorrow...  That's why I stayed up cramming till quarter to three and woke up my entire family and hauled them across town and wasted Scott's time with all the packing...  Tomorrow... Sigh...

In a huff, I called Scott.  Can you believe it?  Scott wasn't nearly as upset as me.  His attitude was, awesome, go pick up the kids and do something fun.  He was right this was a free day.  Nothing due, no where to go, nothing more to study.  Today was like found money. 

I received a few texts from my sleepy classmates on the way to Tammie's.  I scooped up the boys and we headed home.  Then very best part happened.  I lowered Petey down from my hip onto the ground... 

and...

and...

he took his first few steps.  Had I sent him to Miss Tammie's all day, I would have missed it. 
Yay Petey, Yay me!!!  So I've spend my found day smiling at this chunky, unsure, excitable, wobbly little walker.  24 hours lost somewhere between the last day of vacation and the first day of third semester.  Happy Monday to all of you out there who know where you're supposed to be today.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment