Monday, July 5, 2010

At the Park with Dad

I look at photography websites, read photography blogs and even own a dslr for dummies book. I'm always trying to learn new things about our camera. Scott knows nothing about it. He just picks up our camera and shoots. He has no idea what any of the settings are, he just plays around til he likes it. The funny thing is, he often takes much better pictures than me. He had all the boys at the park the other day and just started snapping.
Since he already seems to be a natural, I just try to give him mini lessons. Like tonight when I tried to explain the concept behind the timeless photo. He was still a little confused so I broke it down. "Look at this photo here, super cute, but I just can't appreciate it as much when the boys are wearing WWE t-shirts. It's just distracting and will no doubt have a dated feel in a year or two." I think he got it with out losing too much of his pride.


Maybe I should just stick to being the technical one and let him be the creative natural one. I can take 70 pictures and only save two of them. These three shots came from a roll of four pictures that he took the other day. The fourth one was really good too but one small flaw. I'm saving this lesson for next week. If you're going to photograph all the kids, maybe wash their faces first. Gavin was filthy, so I just couldn't use it. I didn't even have to read that tip in the dummies book, just a mom thing I guess. I do enjoy his pictures and maybe I should take his lead and get my nose out of the book and behind the camera more.

No comments:

Post a Comment