Tuesday, June 21, 2011

big curvy sticks


Some people pick up big curvy sticks covered in barnacles with their bare hands

Then there are those people would look at those big curvy sticks covered in barnacles and think, that’s disgusting.

I’m probably closer to the disgusting side of the spectrum but am working on taking fish off lines and touching bait shrimp and other necessary gross tasks and maybe one day will want to pick up big curvy sticks covered in barnacles with my bare hands, but not today.



Some people shop at thrift shops with delight buying clothes and house wares without a second thought.

Then there are those people who would gag at the thought of wearing a pair of strappy sandals once owned by another person.

I am definitely the captain of the group of people on the savvy thrift shop shoppers side of the spectrum.



Some people take pride in raising their own chickens for meat and eggs.

Then there are those people who can’t even eat a fried egg if they had to cook it themselves.

I’m somewhere in the middle. I love eggs and chicken and can cook them and eat them with no problem. I love the thought of raising my own, it’s just the logistics of it that get me. Who actually has to kill the chickens and how does one remember to collect those eggs everyday? So I sit in the middle of this spectrum admiring those who do it and shaking my head at those gaggers.



It’s interesting to watch my boys pick up on my location on the spectrum when we approach unknown territory or new situations. “Mom, would you eat that piece of cheese if it fell on the floor?” They’re testing me to see where I am on the spectrum. Where I am influences where they will land. Some of my boys will follow in my footsteps and stand in my footprints on the exact same spot on every spectrum. Some of my boys (the big curvy stick boy in particular) will take the opposite stand no matter what the situation. “Oh, you think that stick looks disgusting, then I’ll pick it up. Oh, you think bacon cheese is gross? I’ll take a second slice. You wouldn’t ever get a tattoo? I’m getting two.” I try to be thoughtful when giving my opinion on certain situations knowing this. I try not to let them know I’m afraid of spiders and I hope to avoid passing on my infatuation with chocolate. I grew up never knowing how terrified my mom is of chipmunks and bats. i was also never aware of how many foods she hated. My mom was very aware of her influence on us.


Know where you are on the spectrum and be aware of who you influence and consider stepping out of your comfort zone today and walking over to the other side of that spectrum there might just be a big curvy barnacle covered stick waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment