Sunday, September 5, 2010

Four Boys and a Watermelon

I had a dream the other night that I gave the boys a watermelon and nothing else.  If they wanted to eat it, they’d have to figure out a way to open it up.  Sometimes crazy ideas like that are just meant for dreams, it wouldn’t really make any sense to give four small boys a watermelon without slicing it on a cutting board and serving a small piece on a paper plate with napkins and plenty of wet wipes for the clean up afterward.  However, we were throwing caution to the wind yesterday, so we brought that watermelon and I excitedly waited to see what would unfold.
 IMG_3661
Sorry Gavin, cave moms made their little cave boys carry their own watermelons.
IMG_3662
They all took turns, but the heavy watermelon had to be set down often.


Which prompted me to take many watermelon beach shots.
IMG_4053
After carrying the watermelon about twenty feet, Gavin resorted to rolling.
IMG_4084
After trying to lift the watermelon…
IMG_4088
Finn decided to roll the watermelon.


Tommy, well Tommy tried kicking the watermelon across the beach.  Unlike the other boys, he didn’t problem solve or try rolling it.  "You know mom, some moms just buy an already cut up one at the grocery store."  I guess is problem solving, just on a different level. 
IMG_4091
Soon he got into the spirit and instructed Gavin to wash the watermelon.
IMG_4100
And so they did.  Gavin lifted and Tommy scrubbed until it was clean enough for for their liking
.IMG_4109
We picked a spot and the concept was explained.  It went something like this.  You are all cave boys.  You don’t have knives, or cutting boards or plates or wipes.  You only have your bare hands and any other tools you can find in nature.  You are hungry little cave boys and this is all you could find to eat.  So work as a team and try to figure out how to open it up.

IMG_4111
I am sad to say that our brains may not have really evolved that much since the cave era.  Gavin really thought this one might work.  After six tries I felt inclined to redirect him.
IMG_4120
After several interesting but unsuccessful techniques were exhausted, Tommy introduced the stick.  He was strong enough to crack the shell and that’s all it took.
IMG_4114
It was decided that Gavin was the strongest, so he pried at the tiny crack.

IMG_4117
Finn provided moral support and encouragement.
IMG_4122
Soon we had sweet sweet success.

IMG_4130
and the hole grew

IMG_4133
The first handful was tasted.  Let me tell you, from experience of course, that a handful of watermelon beats a slice of watermelon any day.
IMG_4136
Everyone liked this part.

IMG_4141
Petey was a natural, I guess he hasn’t had much practice with forks and knives and linen napkins yet, so he was close to his roots already.
IMG_4148
After everyone had their first taste, Gavin declared that the excavating must continue.
IMG_4149
Then the “juice dump” was invented.

IMG_4152
I guess when digging up to your elbow in a watermelon, it’s easier when you aren’t splashing watermelon juice in your eyes.  Sorry boys, no goggles for cave boys.
IMG_4140
So went our afternoon, eating…
IMG_4157
and digging…

IMG_4162
and eating…
IMG_4169
and digging…
IMG_4178
and dumping juice…
IMG_4163
and eating…
with our eyes closed…
IMG_4168
and letting sweet watermelon juice drip down our golden brown bellies (well, their golden brown bellies, mine’s well, this is not the blog to share the sad state of affairs that is my belly)
IMG_4180
Some solo juice dumping…
IMG_4200
and lots of cavey teamwork…
IMG_4186
and lots of watermelon photos taken with one very sticky Canon Rebel.  Although, I picked up a good technique in nursing school.  When you do certain sterile medical procedures, you have one clean hand and one dirty hand.  I keep my right hand clean and dry for working the camera, but I can do just about anything with my dirty left hand.  I can wipe a runny nose, get sand out of your eye, help you turn on the outdoor shower, or hold you sticky little hand to help you off the table.  Certain emergencies do require two hands however, hence the sticky camera I am dealing with today.
IMG_4208
With swollen little brown bellies, the official cave men declared they were all done.  One by one they headed for the shower, except Tommy who insisted I put the watermelon shell on his head for a watermelon helmet.  I considered it, but when I sized it up I realized that the hole was a bad size.  I could picture the shell slipping down over his face and smothering him and me trying to primitively crack open the watermelon helmet with a large rock while on Tommy’s head.  This was enough to make me suggest a watermelon boot instead. 
IMG_4103
Next we jumped back to 2010 and took advantage of the beach showers.  IMG_4106
By the time we were clean, we had clogged the drain with pink watermelon flesh.  I was about to throw the remaining watermelon in the garbage when Tommy asked, “Did cave people have garbages?” 
      
IMG_4213
Nope, they left their scraps for the dinosaurs and so I heaved our watermelon into the bushes.

7 comments:

  1. That's a really cute idea!!! I wish my younger one would eat watermelon, but my older one would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super fun, although, now the are begging to do it again. This is not something you can just do everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, you are the kind of mom I *want* to be. Super fantastic idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! Great pictures!

    Found you through Blog Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the cutest post I have read in a long time. My sister has raised 4 boys too. The funny stories she can tell you.... They are now, 19, 18, 16 and 14. I had to call my sister and tell her about your blog and she was cracking up.Her advise is to just join them and never fight it. Even if you have to play in mud..lol

    ReplyDelete