Sunday, September 30, 2012

chairs

my favorite way to end the day is sitting in a chair on the front porch with my best friend, whom I'm conveniently married to.  i like it most when the boys are running around as the breeze picks up and the sun dies down.  when we moved to our new (very old) house, the chairs that once sat on my front porch moved to the backyard.  i have no front porch now.  so enjoyable evenings watching the boys gallivant around were no more and i was sad.  i started watching for new chairs for the front yard.  with no front porch to speak of the new chairs would need to sit in the grass.  i wanted Adirondack chairs but did not want to spend $80 on them and i was not a fan of the plastic ones.  so i watched and waited.  then last week, i finally found the perfect chairs, cheap, wooden and super comfy.  we purchased two.

 

   IMG_4656

 

petey spent some time sitting in my best friend’s chair while he watched him put mine together.  i love color and knew i wanted them to be bright.  so naturally…

 

IMG_4669

 

my best friend brought me to home depot and i picked out some paint… 

 

IMG_4670

 

some yellow paint.  yellow was the winning color. 

 

IMG_4671

 

and so it began.  we painted together.  i always love the first stroke of any painting project, but by the 20th, i’m done.  luckily, my best friend is persistent and a bit of a workaholic.

 

IMG_4675

 

my best friend painted the big areas and i painted the little areas and my forearm and my right foot.  my best friend painted in a pair of good jogging shorts like he always does and ruined yet another pair.  grrrrrrrr…..  but alas we were done. 

 

fast forward a day or two and it was saturday night.  saturday nights are particularly special when we are not at the cottage because all the neighborhood boys run in a pack, mine included, from yard to yard playing tag and something called man hunter and hide and seek.  i was so excited as my taco meat simmered on the stove last night just thinking about once again being able to sit in my chair in the front yard and watch the boys play as dusk rolled in. 

 

IMG_4899

 

and so it was a fiesta/picnic/date/family night all in one.  it was wonderful.  i forgot napkins so my best friend and i dripped taco juice on the grass and wiped sour cream on our pajamas. 

 

IMG_4900

 

we discreetly ate our tacos, or as discreetly as one can when eating big overstuffed sloppy tacos, until the boys slowly noticed and came over for bites.  like seagulls we fed them bits and pieces and threw passing boys a taco or two.  it was as enjoyable as i’d imagined our first evening in our chairs to be.  in our new mayberry like neighborhood in our bright yellow chairs.  my best friend and i can’t wait to do this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment