Friday, February 18, 2011

rabbit food

Gardening provides so much more than food for our family.  It’s an educational platform to teach life lessons and a demonstration of patience and follow through.  We can spend all day planting but if we don’t follow that up with weeding and watering we will never make it to harvest.  Gardening is also therapy for me.  I was once told that getting the hands dirty keeps the mind clean.  I believe it.  It’s hard to think anything but pure thoughts when weeding in the garden.  By nature I’m an impatient, impulsive, demanding woman.  My garden forces me to slow down, practice patient and relax.  Gardening is also spiritual.  Down on my knees admiring brand new baby seedlings emerging from the black dirt, how could I possibly be anything but in awe of GOD’S hand at work.  Gardening is such a wholesome hobby.  I’m not out gambling or out at the bar drinking, or wasting hours on the internet, I’m crouched down in the dirt thinning my carrots. 

IMG_9111

Eating all of our hard work is a pretty nice perk though.  Today I had a salad, less than five minutes ago, this lettuce and these peas were warming in the sun attached to their life giving roots and now they were on my plate, still warm from the garden. 

I was out there weeding tonight as the sun went down.  Carrots and onions will be ready to harvest soon and I have more herbs than I know what to do with.  Seeds and weeds and dirty knees and sunshine and water and quiet time.  I love my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment