Saturday, February 5, 2011

artists

I am an artist in unusual ways.  I can’t draw or paint or sculpt but I’m have the artist’s mind.  I love to write and love to blog and love music and love to surround myself with unique treasures. 

I have the sort of nagging creative energy though that makes me understand why artists become so eccentric and unstable sometimes and do things like cut off their own ear or stick their heads in ovens.  I am fully aware of the need to channel my creative energy into a positive outlet.  For those of you who haven’t been cursed blessed with the artist’s mind it may be difficult to understand.  It’s this incredibly frustrating feeling when you wake up some mornings with so many ideas and so much passion and energy rushing through your brain.  If I’m not careful, these are the days when really impulsive things happen like buying a puppy or cutting off the vertical blinds with scissors or getting a super drastic haircut.  It’s even more frustrating when you have these days and are expected to participate in the real world and are forced to do things like sit through class or work.  The artist is required to conform and act as normal as possible when all they want to do is dance or create or perform.  You might be sitting next to one of these stifled artists if the person on your right is furiously scribbling a manuscript during a Pediatric Medication Administration lecture or sketching the layout of her future off the grid organic self sustaining farm, or acting out by way of practical jokes or holding her own comedy show during lunch hour.  

Being that I’m an artist with all the artist tendencies and understand what it’s like living as an one, it’s hard to be upset when I come across something like this…

IMG_8982 
Innocent enough right?  A permanent black marker on the sidewalk outside.  But with my knowledge of little boys and our family history, I was sure there would be more…
IMG_8974

I was right.  Scott doesn’t have the artist gene so this was a little harder for him to appreciate.  However, Scott also doesn’t have spare time, so I’m sure we’ll be able to appreciate this for some time.  Especially since we don’t own touchup paint for the outside of our house and I can’t picture wither of us going to Lowes with all four boys anytime soon.  I can appreciate and understand this piece of work.  I do however think there are more appropriate mediums though.  Puppet show, water color, interpretive dance or musical instruments.  But who knows, when that impulsive burst of energy strikes the true artist picks up whatever medium is closest and living with a Fed Ex man, permanent markers are always nearby. 

Currently, the artist is choosing to remain anonymous.  I’m sure he will come forth in time though.  I only recently came clean about carefully painting my sister Ellen’s name on the tractor headlight in pink nail polish when I was nine.  Artists are usually fairly proud of their work and eventually want recognition and there is one boy in particular who admires this work each and every morning on the way to the van.

No comments:

Post a Comment