Friday, February 4, 2011

boys and balloons

I had lunch with friends today.  One of them brought me a bouquet of balloons.  Congrats on almost finishing (one more day) the nursing program.  I got four balloons, one for each of the boys, she explained.   Interestingly, one of the balloons had popped during transport.  Hmmmm… I wondered, who will get the popped one.  Maybe the boy who conveniently forgot to bring his report card home for the seventh day in a row or the boy who got on yellow (behavior stop light technique at school) for playing Mercy with a classmate or today.  Or more realistically, the one who will complain the least and not put up a fight.  Sorry Petey, you lose today. 

Finn was lucky, he got to have his first choice… He picked the “Boo Tar.” Nice choice. Tommy kindly chewed through the ribbon separated the balloons on the way home.  Before opening the van door and releasing Finn from his car seat I explained the laws of gravity and the difference between room air and helium.

IMG_9015

Things were going fairly well for about 30 seconds.  Traipsing though the yard with the balloon floating above then predictably, it happened…

IMG_9040

Yup, that’s it.  I shook my head as I continued to carry in the back packs and diaper bags from the van.  I was expecting Finn to run to me to be consoled.  But…

IMG_9062

I came back out and found Gavin consoling him while they watched Finn’s balloon float higher and higher.  They stayed this way until it was out of sight.  Then Gavin offered Finn his own green balloon.  I couldn’t ask for a better big brother. 

Tommy has taken much better care of his balloon.  He tied it to the handle bars of his bike and pedaled for about an hour up and down our road and is now in the bathtub, with his balloon of course. 

Thanks for the balloons Domini, they were a sweet gesture, they provided an interesting ride home (it’s hard to drive with three balloons in front of your face), an afternoon of fun, and some great life lessons. 

Now, how to untangle Finn’s green balloon from the ceiling fan… 

No comments:

Post a Comment