Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Who We Are

For those of you who are not familiar with my family yet allow me to introduce us. Sit back, prop your feet up and get to know us. We are the fun loving adventurous VanGrinsven family. My name is Erin. I met my husband Scott in ninth grade in a computer class. I thought he was an exchange student and he thought I was hot. We dated for five years and then during a Friday night fish fry he proposed. We married (we are sure people were taking bets on how long we'd last) and built a log cabin together in a small town in Northern Wisconsin. Scott and I worked for his dad in a Sears store that the family owned. I also had a small massage therapy business. After two years of marriage we had our first baby boy, Gavin. Another two years later we had our second boy, Tommy. Both boys were raised in the Sears store. We had their cribs set up in the lawn and garden department amongst the lawn tractors. After the birth of Tommy we decided we needed a change. We took out a US map, had a family meeting and decided south FL looked nice. Neither of us had ever been there but 3 months later houses and businesses were sold and we were driving to FL. It takes guts to pick up and move your family across country but it takes even more guts to stay there through the first year. Our first year was tough. We bought and sold two businesses. I decided my passion was nursing so started going to school and working at our local hospital. While going to school for nursing (my passion, remember?) I found my true passion in an English class, writing. Scott and I both understand that writing is not likely going to pay the bills, so I continue to go to school for nursing while writing on the side. Scott owns a successful Fed Ex route and loves it. After settling into our new house and getting into the school groove we found out I was pregnant again. Another boy. Finn was born in January of 2008. Don't ask me the day because I am still not too sure. This slowed down school but I persisted and completed the semester. When someone approached me about doing a surrogate pregnancy I felt compelled to jump right in and agreed to do it. We met and got to know the family and went to various appointments (doctors, psychiatrists, lawyers). Just before embryo transplant I had a sinking feeling that wouldn't go away. I took a pregnancy test to calm nerves. Yup, I was pregnant again. It was ours, not theirs. As history has a way of repeating itself the doctor confirmed it was another boy. Petey was born in April of 2009. So after ten years of marriage we have produced four incredible clever blond haired boys. Our life has become a wild, and I mean wild, adventure. Never ever a dull moment as these boys are a constant source of entertainment. I could laugh each day or cry, so I choose to laugh a lot. Taking care of this family is the most overwhelming challenge I have ever met in my life but I wouldn't want it any other way. Each day brings new adventures, stories and laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment