Friday, July 17, 2009

PJ Day

Some of my best days end just like this one has, sitting on a sofa full of little boys in my pajamas. Not because I just put my pajamas on, but because I never took them off this morning. My pajama shirt is on inside out and backwards (not sure how or when this happened). It's a v neck. You wouldn't think it would be comfortable, but it actually is. I am proudly displaying a silver plastic police badge on my collar. I have tried to remove it several times in the past few days only to have Tommy (the crazy four year old) chase me down and reapply it. He insists that I have to wear it because I have lots of money and I'm the boss. Maybe compared to him this is true, but not so in the real world. I also have some spots on my shirt. One of them is definitely baby spit up, but I am not too sure what the other is. I'm wearing one old blue flip flop. I had two of them earlier but Finn (the 1 1/2 year old) has been taking them off every time I sit down and now the right one is missing. I have one my most comfortable pink pj pants which in no way match the backwards black top. I purchased these when I was seven months pregnant with Gavin and not surprisingly they still fit. they are a little frayed and the drawstring is missing (who needs that anyway). As I remind my children often, "this is not a fashion show". My hair is up in a disheveled pony tail. The elastic band keeps falling out because it's about eight years old and my hair is thinning so much after the pregnancy. Makeup? Not today. I am lucky I even brushed my teeth. To an outsider like the traveling meat salesman that showed up today, I may appear to be an un kept, lazy, frumpy stay home mom. On a side note, what kind of a career is "traveling meat salesman"? I reminded him once again that we are vegetarian (we aren't) and he doesn't need to waste his time stopping by our place. Anyway, what they don't understand is that my to do list only has so many slots on it each day. So some days, if I want to fit everything in, and God forbid play with my children, I have to scrap some of the less important tasks such as showering and putting on clothes. We managed to keep the house in order today and have lots of fun. I got to read to Tommy (a luxury these days), practice rolling over with Petey (2 1/2 months), play a few games of Uno with Gavin (just turned 7) and throw balls with Finn. We rounded out the afternoon with a group nap. We like to pretend we are all puppies and sleep in a big pile. We had a very satisfying day to end the week. I am back to work at the hospital tomorrow. I like to know that I actually spent some quality time with the kids instead of just cleaning up after and disciplining them. It would be very easy to spend the whole day at home with the kids and never actually spend any quality time with them. I can get so caught up in the cleaning and cooking and planning. Knowing that we made some good memories this week will help me cope when I am away from the kids. It's hard not to feel like a bad mom spending every weekend at work and missing out on all the fun weekend things they do. I know that the important things this week were, dancing together in the living room and spraying each other with the hose, not being dressed to the nines every single day. I have little boys falling asleep all over me and it's so satisfying. It's almost time for bed and now I ponder, do I need to put on new pajamas now?

No comments:

Post a Comment