Monday, April 16, 2012

it's my birthday

It was about 9:30 this morning when I realized it was my birthday.  It may have gone unnoticed altogether if not for the text from my husband.  "Happy Birthday Princess."  The Princess part is a bit of a running joke these days as I am anything but a princess.  I've never been called Princess or Baby in my fabulous 11 years with him or so I complained the other day.  Now I get it, dripping with sarcasm, every day. 

So it's my birthday.  I did the math twice just to be sure, but I am fairly confident that I am 31 today. 

31....
Hmmm....

As a child and teenager, I always imagined myself at different ages and while I never actually wrote it down, I still have a pretty vivid memory of where I was supposed to be.  It went something like this.

In my thirties I would be:

Settling back into the country after a decade abroad most likely studying Gorillas. 

I would be starting my thesis or some grand scientific journal recording my great works.

I would be raising all 11 of my little girls that I had rescued from an orphanage in Haiti (not sure where they were during the decade of living in the jungle though)

I would be thin (that's a given)

I would start looking for a suitable husband, if one could even be found (think incredibly high feminist standards) 


Instead...

This morning I woke up to a husband and four boys (technically five including baby in my belly) all in one queen size bed.  Claustrophobic anyone?

I have yet to start the Gorilla work (although raising boys is similar)

I have opted out of the 11 Haitian girls... obviously, although I do like the thought of adoption

I am not in some high level degree program nor have any of my works been recognized by any journals of any sorts.

Finally, I am not thin. 

All this being said though, I am really happy where I landed.  This may not be what I had planned, but clearly GOD had something else in mind. 

"Go ahead and dream big Erin, but I assure you, what I have in mind for you is far greater and far crazier that any adventure you could have planned for yourself."  Your Friend, GOD

I still find myself making all of these firm declarations for my life and expecting the pieces to fall right into my plans.  Even a few years ago I proclaimed that I would be done having children at thirty.  Oooops. 

I'm thinking it might be reasonable to know what we are going to have for dinner about a week in advance and scheduling some summer activities for the boys.  But concrete plans for the future?  Nope, I'm not going to do that anymore.  Here's to making no formal plans or expectations.  I will keep an open mind and an open calendar and take what GOD gives me and roll with it.  Who knows, if one day 11 orphans fall on my doorstep, I'll probably let them in, feed them something and start researching Pinterest to find a clever bunk bed plan that sleeps a few more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment