Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Eye doctor, round two

So today was Gavin's eye doctor appointment. No where near as exciting as Tommy's but entertaining none the less. This time I was prepared. I dressed up in very nice clothes and dressed the boys in their new school clothes. Who dresses up for their eye doctor? We do now. I refused to leave the driveway until everyone showed me their shoes. I left an hour early. I even accounted for the time warp although I still haven't reset the slow kitchen clock. We got the little boys safely dropped off at Miss Tammie's and had time to spare. We found a parking spot very close. I pulled in and parked. As Tommy was about to whip the door open and hit the car next to us, I decided we should move. We were parked in between a BMW and a Lexus. We were trying our best to be sophisticated today but we certainly weren't ready to park this close to expensive cars. We reverted to our old parking spot across the lot and walked. I lectured and threatened the boys all the way across the parking lot. No talking, no fighting, no limping, no asking questions, no coffee etc... Gavin quietly opened the office door for us and we approached the counter like a perfect little family.

Me: I realize I'm 20 minutes early, I always make it a habit to be punctual.

I hoped she didn't remember me from last week. As she handed me the paperwork on a clipboard I handed her the pre printed, completed paperwork that I had already filled out. She beamed at me and made a comment on how well prepared I was. Feeling justified, we took our seat to wait. She then offered me a cup of tea again. This time I was prepared.

Me: Is is imported organic?

Receptionist: Ummmmm I really don't think so.

Me: I think I'll pass, but thank you.

While waiting with my "little angels" the door swung open and hit the wall. A hurried women busted into the waiting room. I could see the familiar frazzled look on her face. She was as under dressed as I had been last week. She tried her best to compose herself as she ushered her teenage daughter into the office. Her daughter was dressed in black from head to toe. She had her nose pierced and more black eyeliner than I've ever seen anyone wear. The mother, obviously annoyed and embarrassed by her daughter, rushed up to the counter as the goth girl slammed the door shut. Are we too late for our appointment she asked the receptionist. The receptionist looked irritated as she looked through the appointment book. But she seemed quite smug when she announced to the mom, and the entire office, "your appointment isn't until tomorrow." The mom let out a long sigh and shook her head leaving the office without another word. The goth girl grabbed three cookies next to the tea pot and walked out. Gavin behaved perfectly throughout his exam. He tried his best, but failed like the rest of us. So it's one more pair of glasses for me to keep track of. He had already picked out his glasses so it didn't take long to order them. He was a little disappointed when the women explained that his glasses wouldn't have the big XGames sticker on the lens like the pair he was trying on. We paid our co pays and headed for the door. Gavin even held the door without being prompted. Victory for us. We may have faked it but I think we pulled it off. No feeling like the outcasts or being embarrassed by something the boys said. We probably weren't even the talk of the office staff today. I was smiling and feeling like I had the best little gentlemen in the world when I noticed the boys weren't walking by my side anymore. They were wrestling in the wet grass directly in front of the office window. I hopped through the wet grass and tried to untangle them. Gavin was squealing while Tommy sat on his chest pulling his hair. I finally separated them and held onto their little hands tightly as we tromped back toward the sidewalk. Mom, I think I stepped in dog poop. Back to my world again. Good bye gentlemen, welcome back rambunctious little boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment