Tuesday, November 12, 2013

six


Five seemed like such a ridiculously large amount of children a year ago when we found out we were expecting Huckleberry.  Five went from daunting to manageable to totally doable to a new normal.  So normal that it soon became time to shake things up once more. 

We are so excited to announce that our family will once again welcome another baby into our little pack of boys.  Baby six is due sometime in early May.  We do not know the gender yet but are excited to find out some time near Christmas.  Our house is divided on this subject.  Some of us like what we know and are standing firmly on Team Boy while a smaller but far more passionate Team Girl has taken up a strong campaign hoping for that little princess or at bare minimum that little tomboy. 

We planned to keep things under wraps until we were certain what the gender was but I have a tendency to be completely transparent when it comes to things like this.  It didn’t take long for several of my acquaintances in our close social circles to quickly recognize that look I must wear on my face during every pregnancy and called me out on it way too early.  I have little ability to lie.  This lead to a great deal of scheming to keep the knowing group far away from the unknowing group until all interested parties could be officially told.  Our boys were some of the last to find out and we did not want them to hear about it casually.   I can finally sleep knowing that everyone knows and I don’t have to wrack my brain with who knows and who doesn’t and how to keep the two parties apart.

The boys reacted much the way I anticipated.  They have grown accustomed to this routine and were all very excited.  There were lots of questions from the little boys and we all believe that Huck is in denial.  Sitting next to one of the Bigs in church last week I overheard his after communion prayers requesting that GOD deliver twins to our family.  Several weeks ago this would have concerned me but rest assured I did not leave that first appointment without confirmation of how many were in the litter and I can assure you it is only 1. 

Having a large number of children is such a strange concept. I follow several blogs with more than 10 children so on the spectrum 6 really isn’t that many but for the rest of the world it must seem like a lot. From the comments, the advice, the criticism, the awe and the curiosity I can never predict what might come out of a stranger’s mouth these days.  I am careful to think before reacting to the sometimes less than appropriate comments knowing that I usually have an audience of five small students taking in my every word and lesson.  Most often though I get the “God bless you” look or the soft head tilting reminiscing look of an 80 year old mother who tells me that she too had five sons. 

I loved the number five while it lasted but am looking forward to six.  I’m not sure how I feel about even numbers but I don’t feel strongly enough to start planning another pregnancy just to get back to an odd number. 

Thank you all for your love and support.  We are blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that support our decision to let GOD play a large role in the number of children we bring into this world.  Or at least are blessed with that same group of people that respect us enough not to share their strong opinions opposing our view.   

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcy. We are excited to bring the newest member up this summer on our annual pilgrimage. Hopefully we will cross paths one of these times

      Delete
  2. The news just made it to Madison - congrats! I'm busy buying anything pink or with kitties on it right now. I'll pick up some extras for you just in case ;)

    ReplyDelete