Thursday, October 4, 2012

prompt 21

writer’s block tonight…

so it’s off to a writer’s block website to randomly pick a prompt…

 

Describe some of the organizations or clubs you belonged to as a child

 

 

the first two organizations that come to mind are 4-H and girl scouts. 

 

girlscouts

 

allow me to start with girlscouts.  it was short lived.  i have very few memories of my girl scouting days.  they are as follows:

referring to our troop leader maxine as maxi pad behind her back and getting busted by her

having my mom drive me half way across the state to the girl scout camp that we probably couldn’t afford only to have a near panic attack when we arrived over the homesickness i was sure i would develop during the course of the week.  thinking quickly, my mother forced my sister to go in my place, living out of my suitcase for a week and hanging out with my best friend

having my best friend resent me for a long time for abandoning her with the enemy, my sister

feeling bad as i looked at pictures of them together making camp memories wearing the matching outfits that we had packed

lastly, finally getting brave enough to go to a camp, cross country ski winter camp

deciding i hated cross country skiing and climbing atop the outhouse in protest but discovering french bread pizza a love that would last a lifetime

 

4-H

 

performing in two of the most memorable group dances of my life.  both equally blackmailable material

dancing to a new kid’s on the block song, hang in tough, with my brother

winning that competion

realizing it was humiliating but realizing it was too late because now we had to perform on the state level at the state fair in front of about a bajillion more people. 

doing fairly well at the state level and being documented fully on the front page of a very popular wisconsin newspaper to last as evidence for a lifetime

learning another dance, a can can style, taught to me by a lovely small town goat farmer, the goat farmer who also taught me to milk a goat which i learned later is not the same as milking your own breasts, useless stupid skill. 

going to the fair with garden items that my parents had planted, taken care of, harvested, cleaned and prepared for the fair only to win first place and take all the credit

summer 4-h camp where i developed a serious interest in boys

summer 4-h camp where i met some very interesting boys

summer 4-h camp where we danced to achey breay heart and i’ve got friends in low places and it was actually cool

bad 4-h games at the monthly meetings and even worse refreshments

attempting to learn a pledge but never being successful

barbara hauerberg

the county fair where i could meet up with i could meet up with boys that i had met over the years at summer 4-h camp

 

 

funny this prompt comes up today.  we are on the eve of our first official cub scout campout.  i am still a cub scout newb in all senses of the word.  i struggle with the cub scout promise, i know none of the terminology.  i don’t recall if our leader is called the denmother, the grand pooba, the wolfman or the denmaster.  i will be sure to bring you the play by play from what is certain to be an entertaining weekend.

goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment