Thursday, September 22, 2011

what the flip?

We watch from a distance as a crazy little helicopter hovers over nearby boats chasing them across the waves.  Circling and closing in.  Coast Guard?  Police?  Black Ops?  It’s a bit concerning watching him pick his next victim and then swooping in for a closer look.  I remain uneasy as he spots us.  We’re next, I think to myself grabbing my camera to document the evidence incase anything shady goes down. The boys don’t pick up on my suspicious vibe yet and are still enjoying the captivating show.

 

IMG_5768

 

I was preparing for the worst.  Machine guns, tear gas bombs, pirates jumping aboard our vessel etc… I continued to snap the camera to function like the black box that they find after airplane crashes that explains the mystery.  These photographic clues will be all that will remain after this certain disaster.  He closed in on a boat behind us and then I braced myself as the driver made eye contact with me.  We were next.  He obviously hadn’t found what he was looking for on the other boats.  Was it small children to be sold into slavery or was it amateur photo equipment or a cooler full of beer he was after?  We had them all.  My stomach turned as the chopper floated past me like a hummingbird.

IMG_5801

 

Oh, joy a helicopter crash and I have front row seats was my first impression.  Finn was actually amused at the thought of the bird plunging into the water.  The pilot maneuvered even closer to the waves and then spun around to hover and chase us.

 

IMG_5779

 

On his second circle the pilot came in close enough to wave to me.  As he turned his copilot snapped photos of me snapping photos of them.  It was only then that I took notice of the writing on the pontoon.  BOATPIX.COM  I breathed a sigh of relief.  We might actually get out of this situation alive.  I stood their thinking about the concept for a minute. 

Oh, I get it, they take pictures of you enjoying your boat with your family and then you go on their website and buy picture of you enjoying your boat with your family. 

 

IMG_5810

 

So maybe not cops or military or high seas pirates, but after looking at the website and the prices I feel like it may actually involve a little high seas robbery.  I could make two months worth of boat payments for the cost of one photo. 

I for one am not interested in a high priced photo of myself in a swimsuit on my boat jumping to conclusions while attempting to protect my family with my only weapon, my Canon Rebel.  No thanks, not today but thanks for scaring me half to death and amusing my family and for sparing my life and giving me something to blog about. 

Thanks BOATPIX and good luck with this business venture.  It’s an interesting concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment